Tuesday, May 12, 2009

First Challenge as Promised!!

Hello Family
How many of you have looked at the food pyramid lately?? I remember looking at it in school but it has been along time since I have really paid attention to the information. For the first challenge Barb had suggested something with eating your fruits and veggies. That is what led me to look at the food pyramid again. I was wanting to find out what the recommended amount of fruits and veggies had changed to. I was surprised when I found the site with the information - they no longer has a one size fits all approach to nutritional value. So that leads me to the first part of the challenge. Since we are all different I can't just assign a number a fruits and veggies for you to eat each day. So I would like everyone to long on the http://mypyramid.gov/ do some snooping around and find out what they recommend for you. On the left side of the mypyramid page click on "MyPyramid Plan". From there you enter your personal information and it will tell you what the daily recommended values are for you. You will need to look this up before the start of our week on Monday because starting next week you will be eating according to the recommended values. We will start with fruits and veggies next week. Have fun with the site - it has a lot of good information there. And if you want to share what they recommend for you I think it would be interesting to see how the recommendations change the age and gender.

They recommended 3 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruits for me.

Let me know if you have any questions
Love
Katie

5 comments:

  1. put the www on that link and it will take you there! My profile lists 2 c. fruit and 2.5 c. veggies/day. But I'm most excited about the 3 c. milk I can have daily to move to a healthier weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pyramid planner says 3 cups vegetables, 2 cups fruit and 3 cups of milk to move to a healthier weight. Do potato chips count as vegetables?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis' was 3c. veggies and 2c. fruit/day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine said 3 cups veggies, 2 cups fruit, and 3 cups milk. But I think there is a problem. One of the choices for SEX should have been NO. I think that would change my results.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM 2.5 VEGGIES. 1.5 FRUIT & 3 MILK.....AS FOR DEB....I THINK THAT MEANS YOUR GENDER...NOT IF YOU GET ANY!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete